Hello lovely moms, this week I wanted to share my favourite fast making lentil soup recipe with you. This recipe is really healthy and loved by my family. It takes about 30 mins (inc. prep) to table.
Last year we became vegetarians and I found different variations of this recipe online and in my cookbooks. (recipe credits below :0)
Even if you are not vegetarian/vegan you will find this recipe full of flavour and a change from the norm.
It contains amazing red lentils which are packed with lots of iron, protein, and fibre, lots of yummy vegetables, onions, garlic, ginger, and herbs.
This dish will leave you feeling full and satisfied and there should be enough for leftovers the next day (depending on your household – serves about 4 large portions) however, in our house, this rarely happens as my husband always finishes it off 😉
So here is the recipe:
- 1 tablespoon of organic coconut oil (we like to use coconut oil to cook)
- 2 medium onions or 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (whatever your preference we like garlic ;)) diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 thumb size of ginger root, crushed or diced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs/french herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large cup of red lentils, well rinsed
- 3-4 large cups of vegetable stock (sometimes I only use 3 cups to make it more of a stew, whatever your preference)
- Salt/Pepper to season, I also recommend Herbamare (see link below), it’s a tasty seasoner my sister got me using (thanks sis!)
- Over a medium heat, fry off the onions and garlic for 5 mins until fragrant
- Then add the herbs, ginger, and vegetables. Put a lid on the pot and leave for 8-10 mins on medium heat to cook the vegetables
- Next, add in your lentils (make sure they have been fully rinsed) then add your stock, bring to the boil and then simmer on a low/medium heat for 15 mins until lentils are tender.
- Garnish the soup with chopped parsley, a squeeze of lemon and serve with fresh crusty rye bread. I promise you it’s delish!
Please let me know if you make it and what you think of the flavours?!!
Best wishes and Love L X
PS: need to work on my food photography 😉