This week I am sharing our Pesto Courgetti recipe that is so loved in our household, it’s so tasty and it’s also really perfect for Summer evenings. It is vegan-friendly, gluten and dairy free, however, this dish will leave you feeling fully satisfied without any heavy feeling.
It is packed with nutrients for example courgettes contain abundant levels ofand vitamin C that help to keep the heart strong. It contains significant quantities of potassium, , and vitamin A all of which are important for maintaining good health.
The pesto is made from basil which contains high levels of antioxidants, magnesium and a range of vitamins, such as vitamin A, K and C. Interestingly basil contains antimicrobial properties that fight viruses and also has DNA-protecting flavonoids!
The cashew cheese sauce is full of goodness too, cashews contain a powerhouse of proteins, essential minerals, including copper, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc. Cashews also contain vitamins such as vitamin, B1, B2, B3, B6, folate, vitamin E and vitamin K.
So Moms, as I’ve said before this dish not only tastes great, but you can also rest assured in the knowledge that your family is getting a jam-packed nutrient dense meal!
So let me share this recipe with you:
To make the Pesto:
- 2 cups packed fresh basil (large stems removed)
- 3 tbsp pine nuts (can also use walnuts, my preference though is pine nuts)
- 3 large garlic cloves (add more garlic if you are like us ;0)
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast (see link below)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and pepper
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3-6 tbsp of water (more if needed)
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor or blender except the olive oil and water
- Blend on high until a loose paste forms
- Then slowly add the olive oil as the machine is on and scrape downs the side as needed
- Then add 1 tbsp water a time until you reached the desired consistency
- Taste the pesto and season
To make the Cashew Cheese sauce:
- 1 cup cashews (recommend you soak the cashews first (at least 3 hours) better for digestion and also removes phytic acid)
- 1/4 cup of water (more water if you want it a thinner consistency.. whatever way you like it, experiment…)
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 large red bell pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
Blend all the ingredients together in a high-speed blender until you reach your desired consistency. For this recipe, I like to leave it a bit chunky (almost like a cottage cheese consistency) however that’s totally up to you.
To make Courgetti:
- Simply take 2 washed courgettes and place them on a spiralizer, we use the Hemsley and Hemsley spiralizer (link below)
Voila! toss the courgetti in the basil pesto and add a dollop of cashew cheese on top and you have just created a healthy, delicious and beautiful meal. Issey loves this especially the courgetti ;0
As always moms I’d love to hear from you, please let me know if you decide to make this dish and what you thought of it… :0
Love and Best wishes,
Notes: Serves approx 4 portions